'soli deo gloria'

Thursday, October 19, 2006

1st Touch

Last Sunday I got to know to of my seniors friends, whom are Russians, it was before church, as we went to church together. However, today we went to Panorama Museum, the museum was really fascinating.

Besides that being the main point of the visit, there were actually some Russian students from another university who came to find out that we Malaysians will be going to the museum for visitation, so although they have been to that museum for a thousand time, but they still decided to go, simply because they wanted to get to know Malaysians. So we met at the museum’s entrance and went around the museum together with a tour guide. At first, I didn’t know why these Russians are following us, asked our names and even wanted to take pictures with us, are we monkeys in the zoos or what???? Or is it just because we have ‘sotongs’ (Malay girls) among us. They even accompanied us to the autobus-stop, from there then only I got to find out, that they knew we where coming that’s why they purposely came to join us. It seems that sometime next month they will be organizing some sort of cultural gathering where we are suppose to bring our own cultural food, so we Malaysians are invited, I am not too sure but I guess they are members of a society known as anti-racist or maybe a society for the Russians to get to know international students.

4of them even followed us and visited our hostel, 2 of my course-mate made them Malaysian made coffee (its actually Nescafe 3in1, ish,…..), curry and some other stuff to go together with rice, certainly they said that it was nice (to ask is just the routine questions). After that, we sent them off at the lobby of the hostel, because I need to get back my student card also (they are still considered visitors although they are Russians). Before leaving, they said they were so touched by our warm welcome and never expect Malaysians to be so warm and friendly, they have never met Malaysians until today, one of them don’t even know where is Malaysia, but she knows where is Singapore pula.

However, don’t worry guys, I still remember that I am a foreigner and is vulnerable, that’s why I’ll be careful. 2 of them actually suggested that we meet somewhere or they come to our hostel next Sunday to let us try some home made Russian pie, but I told my room mate and we declined, there is nothing to rush about, if there is really that gathering then we can still meet there and try those pies. All in all, it was fun to get to know some Russian friends although there where only 4of them that came to our hostel, and the only 4that I really had the opportunity to know, but I hope to have more chance to know more Russians, but first thing first I need to brush up my Russian language. The 4 of them speaks a bit of English also, that’s why during conversation there is mixture of 2 languages. Till now, these are to only Russians that I know, excluding my lecturers and curators.

1 Comments:

  • At 24 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey..you quite long didnt update d...wat happen huh??
    ok ar??
    the russian still kacau u ar??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home